• Welcome Guest
Tiger Woods forum

• General
    • SUPERSTAR > WHITNEY HOUSTON DEAD at 48
  • To: All
  • 2/12/12

TONIGHT . . .  (AT THE GRAMMY AWARDS) . . .

AFTER TIGER WOODS WINS at Pebble Beach this afternoon . . .

the talented singer JENNIFER HUDSON will sing a tribute to WHITNEY HOUSTON.

Yesterday, at a pre-Grammy party (before the news of Whitney's death), Jennifer was quoted as saying that Whitney Houston was her IDOL, and  that she longed for the opportunity to sing alongside Whitney one day.  It was Whitney that presented Jennifer with her first Grammy Award.

Tonights' Grammy Awards Show will probably be one that you don't want to miss.

ITS SAD TO THINK . . . that we will not see Whitney's face (or hear her voice) EVER AGAIN.

eyeofthetiger

• 2/12/12
Well, we'll never see her face in person again or hear her face in person again -- but fortunately for us, we can always see her face by playing her movies and hear her voice by playing her music.  She has left that legacy behind!
  • 2/12/12

I saw Whitney Houston perfom (live) only once, years ago, here in Atlanta. 

She performed at SIX FLAGS OVER GEORGIA one night in front of a HUGE crowd, and even then, she was a show-stopper. Billy Ocean also performed that night; with his smash hit at the time Caribbean Queen.

It would have been great to see Whitney contract to do a long-extended show in Las Vegas (the way Celene Dion has done so successfully) at Caesar's Palace.  Less traveling for the artist; the crowds come to them.

This whole thing with Whitney today, is simply unbelievable.

eyeofthetiger

• 2/12/12

Now, that you mentioned Billy Ocean, does he still record today?    I liked his songs of "Mystery Lady" and "There'll Be Sad Songs".    I know he is British. 

• 2/12/12
It was New Edition's concert and I think the show had already started not sure. I was more perplexed at the decision for Clive Davis to continue his Pre-Grammy party downstairs at the Beverly Hilton while Whitney's body was still on the 4th floor of the same hotel.
  • 2/12/12

WHOW !!!  Thats stunning . . .

ARE YOU SURE Clive didn't cancel the party??

He loves Whitney, and stood by her for over (20) years. 

He has been grooming her for the big comeback in recent years.

eye

• 2/12/12
I'm sure he did not cancel the party. The pictures are on the web.

BEVERLY HILLS—Speaking before hundreds of entertainment executives, musicians and other VIPs gathered at the Beverly Hilton hotel just hours after the death of Whitney Houston, Clive Davis vowed that carrying on with his annual pre-Grammy bash was the most fitting tribute he could offer.

“She graced this stage with her regal presence so many times,” Davis said. “Whitney would have wanted the music to go on and her family asked us to carry on.”

Houston was Davis’s protégée. But she also arrived at a moment when his career needed a boost, helping restore his stature by delivering the biggest commercial successes when he needed them the most.

“I am personally devastated,” a visibly emotional Davis said.

The first two performers, Tony Bennett and Diana Krall, performed poignant standards: “How Do You Keep the Music Playing?” and “If I Had You.” Bennett told the crowd Houston was “the greatest singer I ever heard in my life.”

Kinks frontman Ray Davies even included a poignant note prefacing an otherwise rocking set with a few pensive, a cappella lines from “Days.” Later Jackson Browne joined him singing the Kinks’ classic “Waterloo Sunset.”

Recording Academy CEO Neil Portnow said that Jennifer Hudson would perform a musical tribute to Houston during Sunday night’s Grammy broadcast.

The Academy cohosted the Saturday-night event with Davis, and Portnow said canceling “was never an option, because you could hear Whitney on your shoulder saying ‘Hey guys, this is showbiz; the show must go on’.”

As the evening continued, Davis went ahead with his usual routine, pointing out stars in the crowd, including Joni Mitchell, Tom Hanks, Neil Young, Dr. Dre, Sly Stone, John Fogerty and a disheveled-looking Donovan.

Adding a macabre patina to the proceedings, Beverly Hills police said Houston’s body continued to lie in the hotel room upstairs where she’d been found dead shortly before 4 p.m., even as guests were filing into a ground-floor ballroom at the same hotel. It was unclear when they planned to release the body to the county coroner.

On hand to present Virgin Records founder Richard Branson with an “industry icon” award, Jane Fonda acknowledged the “complicated” circumstances presented by the events preceding the event.

For his part, Branson regaled the crowd with tales of life in the 70s as a swashbuckling record executive: helping Keith Richards evade the husband of a woman he was sleeping with; smoking foot-long spliffs with Peter Tosh; and enlisting a priest to testify in the Sex Pistols’ defense during an obscenity trial.

Though the cause of Houston’s death hadn’t been established, several speakers drew links to drugs, which the singer acknowledged struggling with. Bennett urged the crowd to “urge our government to legalized drugs so you can get them from a doctor, not just some gangsters.”

Branson said he was part of an organization that advocates treating drugs “as a health problem, not a criminal problem.”

• 2/12/12

B18T,

Interesting . . .

From reading the article, it seems that Whitneys' family urged Clive Davis NOT to cancel the event. 

What bothers me more; however, is that Whitney's body was still on sight at the hotel.   I believe the "party" should have been delayed, until Whitney had been safely (and respectfully) secured and removed from the premises.

eye

• 2/12/12

Report: Whitney Houston's Daughter Rushed to Hospital After Singer's Death

Whitney Houston and daughter Bobbi Kristina  | Photo Credits: Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage.com

One day after the tragic death of Whitney Houston, her daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown was rushed to hospital, TMZ reports.

Brown, 18, was taken out of the Beverly Hilton — the same hotel where her mother was found unconscious and pronounced dead — on a stretcher Sunday, according to a photo obtained by TMZ.

Law enforcement sources told the site that police and fire departments responded to a call for a medical emergency, but would not confirm who was transported to Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles.

According to TMZ, this was her second trip to the hospital after her mother's passing. She went late Saturday, but not by ambulance, because she was said to be "hysterical, exhausted and inconsolable," a source tells the site.

TMZ reported on Saturday that Brown got into a verbal argument with police officers outside her mother's hotel room when she was denied access to her mother's body.

• 2/12/12

UNFORTUNATELY . . .

Whitney Houston's daughter (Bobbi Kristina) looks like her father (which will only serve to remind us how Whitney came to this moment in time, so soon).

Hopefully, she inherited some of her mother's talent, and her inner spirit.

I miss her, already.

eyeofthetiger

Edited 2/12/12   by  EYEOFTHETIGERmsgee
  • 2/15/12

NOTE:  Initially, Whitney Houston's family had considered holding her funeral at a very large public facility (that seated eighteen thousand 18,000; in addition to holding a (public) wake, and memorial service; HOWEVER, something recently changed (I read the family was upset at the constant focus on Whitneys' past drug use; in lieu of focusing on her legacy as an entertainer, etc.; they abruptly canceled all plans for a (public) ceremony.  The current funeral service is " BY INVITATION ONLY), depriving all of Whitney's fans of personal closure (in my opinion).

The following is an article published recently which outlines an alternative the family recently agreed to.

eyeofthetiger

======================================================================================================================

NEW YORK (AP) — Fans worldwide who want to bid Whitney Houston farewell will be able to watch her private funeral on the Internet.

Her publicist, Kristen Foster, announced that The Associated Press will be allowed a camera at the Saturday ceremony in Newark, N.J. The AP will stream the service on livestream.com/aplive . The event also will be available to broadcasters via satellite.

Houston was born in Newark. She died in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Saturday at the age of 48. Her body was flown back to her native New Jersey on Monday.

The service will be at New Hope Baptist Church, where she sang as a child. She will be buried in Fair View Cemetery in Westfield, where her father, John Russell Houston Jr., was buried in 2003. 

• 2/16/12
Eye,

I do believe that Bobbi Kristina,
Whitney's daughter, can also sing.

RIP, Beautiful Whitney.

• 2/16/12
I read somewhere on the internet but I cannot find it again a statement whereby the family stated that "they had shared Whitney with the world for 48 years and they were going to bury her with only family and friends present" or something to that effect. I can actually understand not wanting to turn the funeral into a three ring circus. As a mom, I cannot imagine having to bury one of my children let alone with the entire world watching.
  • 2/16/12

UPAR,

I read that somewhere as well.  It will be interesting to see which style she chooses, and how far she takes it.

eyeofthetiger

• 2/16/12

Shenlee,

I can understand their feelings; however, TRUE FANS need closure too (and Whitneys' fans are quite loyal).

She will be truly missed.

eyeofthetiger

• 2/16/12

Citing a family source, People magazine reported Thursday that Kevin Costner, Houston's co-star in the 1992 blockbuster "The Bodyguard," will attend and deliver a speech (Costner has yet to comment). The movie starred Houston as a megastar who falls for her Secret Service agent, played by Costner -— and remains one of her most beloved films. It also yielded one of her top-selling singles ever, "I will Always Love You." The movie grossed $400 million worldwide.

Edited 2/16/12   by  Paul_Sr
Edited 2/16/12   by  Paul_Sr
  • 2/16/12

PAUL.SR,

I really hope Kevin Costner attends Whitney's funeral (whether he speaks, or not).  They got to know each other pretty well, during the making of "The BodyGuard". 

It was reported at the time, that Costner only wanted Whitney Houston for the lead role in that film.  Whitney reportedly asked Costner if she should "take acting lessons", a year in advance of the film (Costner said NO, he wanted her "just the way you are". 

The movie was delayed A FULL YEAR, as Kevin Costner waited until Whitneys' tour schedule was free, so she would have time to work on the movie.

He made an excellent choice. 

The rest is HISTORY.

eyeofthetiger

• 2/16/12
I loved the movie. Have seen it 3 or 4 times and it gets better every time.
  • 2/16/12
I have the DVD.....it was interesting to me because the plot line was a bit like her life, Bobby Brown vs. Pre Bobby Brown.  I actually saw a documentary on her life and the discussion of how she had changed, been removed from singing after marrying.  Ulitmately it is true that it is your choice, but love makes you do things you may not ordinarily do.  In the documentary it also covered her young life in the Church and how that molded her and kept her away from the temptations that celebrity bring.  Her Aunt and Mother, in the documentary were not happy when she became infatuated and ultimately married.  WHAT A LOSS!!!!!  I have already watched the movie, they played it last night on BET but will be watching it on my DVD again tonight.  God Bless you Whitney!  I have also heard Bobby Kristina sing.....she was a bit younger but has the pipes......would love to hear, at 19, what she sounds like now!
  • 2/17/12
I would like to hear Bobby Kristina too. I don't think there will ever be another set of pipes like Whitney gave us.