• Welcome Guest
Tiger Woods forum

• General
    • Reviews on The Big Miss
  • To: All
  • 3/27/12
5 of 9 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars the big miss, March 27, 2012
This review is from: The Big Miss: My Years Coaching Tiger Woods (Hardcover)
the thing i disliked most about this book was the title. it should have been called...'the big backstab: my years conspiring behind tiger's back and completely ignoring the coach/student silent code.' also, i'm wondering when haney is going to hand in his man-card. a double-cross like this is grounds for immediate dismissal without appeal.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

18 of 34 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars A Three-Putt Bogey, March 27, 2012
This review is from: The Big Miss: My Years Coaching Tiger Woods (Hardcover)
I am an avid golf fan, so I was really looking forward to reading this book. The author, Hank Haney, had said it would be a book about "golf history" - something that he was able to see up close as Tiger Woods' coach. I thought I would get some insight on what made Tiger one of the greatest golfers who ever played the game. Instead I got "The Big Miss."

This book is more about Haney trying to get credit for Tiger Woods' achievements than anything else. In fact, he devotes an entire chapter comparing what Tiger accomplished while he was coaching him vs. what Tiger accomplished when he was coached by others. (It must have killed Haney when Tiger won the Arnold Palmer Invitational - that's a win for another coach!) He claims Tiger and the media never gave him enough credit for Tiger's wins. Honestly, you'd hear less whining at a daycare center right before nap time.

(It's telling that, in the acknowledgements at the end of the book, Haney thanks four people before he thanks Tiger. Haney's agent is thanked sixth.)

Haney had a real opportunity to write a great book about "golf history." Unfortunately, the title of his book is apt. What a big miss.
Help other customer
...[Message truncated]
  • 3/27/12
By Geoff Shackelford, Golf Digest

Book Review: The Big Miss By Hank Haney 

Tiger Woods should be grateful Hank Haney wrote The Big Miss.

Not that the book will ever elicit any emotion from Woods other than a Mt. St. Helens fury of bulging-eye bitterness upon mention of the book’s tantalizing title. Nor is it hard to see why such a private, obsessive-compulsive control freak finds the new book to be the ultimate betrayal, even as he has shown little loyalty to those who’ve worked for him at meager wages considering the pressures involved. Yet after flying through this 247-page, mostly breezy and fascinating look into the life of a champion, I suspect most readers will ultimately have a newfound respect for Woods. I know I do.

That’s not to say you’ll look at him in a more positive light. The various leaked anecdotes certainly stand out and deserve the attention they got, but in the overall flow of the narrative, the now infamous Popsicle story or the Zach Johnson hotel adult movie revelation merely read like fun little jabs livening up Haney’s largely reverential assessment of Tiger.  Working with ghostwriter Jaime Diaz (big disclosure: new editor at Golf World where I'm a Contributing Writer), the Texas-based instructor never holds back in pointing out Tiger’s frugality, Woods’ downright rudeness or the socially-inept gamesmanship muddying Tiger’s most basic daily interactions.

However, it’s hard not to marvel at Woods' purposefulness, eccentricity and drive, which any sports fan suspects is at the core of the all-time greats. Not for a minute do you suspect Haney is making anything up for dramatic effect. Tiger is a workaholic who loves the game, loves trying to improve and likes winning majors. And for the first time in the history of golf literature, we get a behind-the-scenes look at how an all-time great works. Many times the details are not pretty, but most of the journey Haney takes us on reveals a relentless passion to thrive in an era when so many professionals appear content to occasionally contend and collect healthy checks.  If I were asked to recommend a book for an aspiring young golfer, The Big Miss would be the first title I’d select if for no other reason than most of today’s Tiger-wannabes will be motivated to work much harder than they currently do. They’ll also learn how not to treat the people closest to them.

Much of initial Big Miss backlash stems from the publisher’s decision to allow a slow drip of mostly salacious revelations to frame the discussion. Due to a lack of book reviews putting the salacious stuff into context, the perception of the book is one of a teacher-client confidentiality breach, with vindictive humiliation as the primary motive. (As if anything in the book is even remotely as humiliating as what came out in late 2009?)

This marketing approach, while likely to sell a boatload of books, may prove costly to Haney’s reputation based on the vitriolic social media reaction. Yet I sensed Haney’s primary goal was to document an amazing time in sports history and his small-but-influential role in some of the best golf ever played.

The Big Miss is not perfect. Some of the geeky golf instruction talk runs so far off the deep end that a reader will actually long for images to help illustrate what is being talked about. Also, Haney’s tone is genuine and consistently modest throughout. So when he chooses to use the final chapter (“Adding It Up”) to let us know Tiger had more wins during his watch than he did under Butch Harmon, it’s jarring and a peculiar drift from the rest of The Big Miss. Especially since, to that point, Harmon is treated with enormous respect. So much so that Haney even suggests much of his swing coaching for Tiger was little more than a continuation of Harmon’s teaching, with different views only on top-of-the-backswing position and communication styles.

In the minor quibble department, there were a few moments when Dia
...[Message truncated]

Edited 3/27/12   by  Paul_Sr
  • 3/27/12
If Tiger is so "cheap" and pays "meager wages" why would anyone continue to work for him?  If I remember correctly, a few years back Tiger won at Doral when it was still the Ford championship. He won a Mustang of some kind and said he was giving it to Stevie. Also, I believe when he won the Mercedes championship, he gave the Mercedes he won to his mom. Doesn't sound cheap to me.
  • 3/27/12
He also paid Steve so well that Steve was able to donate $3 Mil to charity.

How many caddies have ever done that?

• 3/27/12

Exactly!!  Maybe Bones, never hear much about him.

• 3/27/12

interesting that foley is paid on a percentage of wins basis.  Wonder why HH didnt do that.  LOL

• 3/27/12
Foley is smarter than Haney? HaHa!!
  • 3/27/12
LOL

I think the whole dang world is smarter than Hank Hiney

LOL
Message 18187.9 was deleted
  • 3/27/12
Guess there is a point there someplace. After all it comes from my new again best friend.

Message 18187.11 was deleted
  • 3/28/12

Just a thought....HH obviously is not being honest....he leads one to believe that this is a golf book...matter of fact he stated that prior to any leaks...

why would I need to read it if his statement is clearly false...it is not a golf book.....I have all of tiger's books written about his golf...not his desires, thoughts, etc.,..thats not why I am a fan...I am a fan because of his golf

Let me help you understand further to my point....

Your mom says the stove is hot....you avoid the stove because its hot....

Your mom says the stove is not hot....you touch the stove and burn your hand......  

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that your hand got burnt because of false truths....

Message 18187.13 was deleted
  • 3/28/12

You have (in my opinion) very strange views of The Big Miss.  First of all is the fact that Hank Haney has broken the code of professional coaches.  Another, all does not ring true to me.  Have you not been around people who are so important in their own mind that they cannot see the truth?  It seems to me that HH truly thought he had more to do with Tiger's success than Tiger.  I have been around people like that who would say you said something, when the truth is they were the one who said it.  I think Haney's mind is rather twisted.  He wanted to be more than a coach for Tiger.  He wanted to be totally in Tiger's life.

I will not buy the book, and I hope nobody else does either.  I will not help a lowlife like Hank make money, which is the main reason he wrote the book. He was nothing before Tiger and he will be nothing again.

What else can one expect from Golf Digest?  This is one of the reasons that I will not buy the publication. 

Message 18187.15 was deleted
  • 3/28/12

Hi Paul, did you ever think that Haney is bitter about his "then" fees now in hindsight of what he might of received if he was smarter on the signing of his contract .  Did he think or was he expecting that Tiger should have offered him millions?  Would you hire someone and call a huge number?  I would not.  Haney was ignorant then and is stupid now in my view because he is trying to slight Tiger.  I will assume that you know the difference here.  I have not nor will I purchase Haney's book but the snippets reads like sour grapes to me.

At least Foley is a smart individual and realizes his value.  Seems like a percentage pay scheme is fair and will be lucrative based on progressive results.  I am sure Tiger or anybody for that matter would rather pay on performance especially when this kind of teaching / learning is so subjective to any one individual.  Seems like it was the right decision as everything is moving forward positively.

• 3/28/12
You and golfnu101 make good points.
I only posted the article/review from Golf Disgust for everyone to read.
I am not sure if I am getting hit on for that or because I don't like Hank Hiney, never have liked him.
There is a repeated that will bash me for what ever I say about anything, that's OK because I can ignore IT.
I too will never buy or read anything HH writes.

Now on to the Masters

GO TIGER
  • 3/28/12
   Posted by puddock IgnoreeIgnored Message
To Paul_SrStop Ignoring puddock
Posted Mar-27 View Message
  • 3/28/12
Hi Paul,  I wasn't bashing you and if it seemed that way forgive me.  You and all are entitled to your opinions and views and by all means it is okay to agree to disagree.  That is what discussions are all about.  I deliberately try to respond objectively referencing specific statements that are brought up.  Beside I don't know you well enough to dislike you ;-).  Keep it up dude! DEBATING IS HEALTHY!
  • 3/28/12
Ahh sorry, didn't mean to say you or golfnut101 were bashing me.