Announcement

MLB will be upgrading the message boards Monday, June 2nd. During the upgrade, the forum will be accessible, but users will be unable to make any new posts until the upgrade is completed.

Thank you for your understanding.

MLB

• Welcome Guest
Atlanta Braves

Welcome to the Atlanta Braves.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Keith Law: Medlen should be starting
  • To:All
  • 4/18/12
  • bravehomer

In his column today Keith Law lists 6 relievers that he thinks should be starting. Kris Medlen made his list and here is what he had to say:

Kris Medlen, RHP, Atlanta Braves
I'm having a hard time understanding why Atlanta keeps pushing Randall Delgado and Julio Teheran into open rotation spots when Medlen, who if nothing else is more ready for major league duty, is right there in their bullpen. Medlen would probably pitch with a solid-average fastball as a starter but could run it up to 94, and with a plus changeup and solid-average curveball should be no worse than a back-end starter. It helps that he's a great athlete, a converted shortstop who can really field his position, and that he throws a ton of strikes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that I agree with him.....though I know why Atlanta needs him in the bullpen too.

• 4/18/12
  • 51yrfan
Its good to a wealth of SP-ing, and I really think Medlen will start when someone is traded, injured ,or misses starts. I trust McDowell (who's done a good job with the pitching, and maybe other decision-makers) to set directions for the SP-ing, though I think there's still some "trial & error" going on due to Hudson's rehabs, Teheran's progress, and what comes from JJ. Before that, it was how soon TH got back to form, and the ?-able signings in the pen. I'm OK on Hernandez, but not sure on Durbin, though I (and probably they) went through the same process last year with the older members of the pen. All of to say, I see Medlen as the "insurance policy" if any of the pen - or for that matter, SP-ing - slips.
  • 4/18/12
  • bravepap

The insurance policy theory could also explain the number of innings he's getting as compared to a Martinez...keeping the number of innings high could be one way of keeping him "stretched out" should he be needed as a starter at a moments notice.

Just guessing though.

• 4/18/12
  • bravehomer

I almost wonder if the reason he pitched last night is because they want to keep him stretched out a little.....in the event they do need him to start.

I'm sure on Durbin.....I'm sure he needs to go :-)

Message 160469.5 was deleted
  • 4/18/12
  • AyamwhatAyam

Buddy Carlyle.

I wonder if Asencio was a kind of unspoken 'player to be named later' to get the Lowe deal done.

• 4/18/12
  • bravepap
If the question was strictly innings, it could be Livan....once they release Durbin, we coud also bring up Gearin or Flande.

Edited 4/18/2012 9:52 am ET by bravepap
  • 4/18/12
  • bravehomer

We think alike again, Pap. I just realized we posted almost the same thing a minute apart.

:-)

• 4/18/12
  • bravepap
Heh...Group Think again!
Message 160469.10 was deleted
  • 4/18/12
  • AyamwhatAyam

Currently 1-0, 0.00 for Gwinnett.

He'll be up sooner or later.

Message 160469.12 was deleted
  • 4/18/12
  • bravehomer
Flande and Gearrin also have 0.00 ERAs at Gwinnett. Yet Wren felt the need to sign Durbin....erghhh!!
  • 4/18/12
  • 51yrfan

Because I'm lazy, one reply to all -

Group think - its called knowing your personnel

For Yak - Given the choice, if it HAD to be one or the other - Carlyle or Durbin? I think the long relief would be OK if Medlen had to start, but I'd rather see Martinez, Hernandez, & then Carlyle. The AAA options would also work.

For John - I will never understand losing Ascensio for 30 K - that one is a mindblower. You could be right, but it should never have taken that much of a loss to move Lowe & clear 5 mill for 1 year - especially to use like we did.

Edited 4/18/12   by  51yrfan
Message 160469.15 was deleted
  • 4/18/12
  • parish
To tell the truth, I see a little bit of Maddux in Medlen. He definitely studies pitching and seems like a guy who could regularly outsmart the batter. I guess I would expect his results to generally be better than his stuff (which is already pretty good).
  • 4/18/12
  • ECash22
Ive been scratching my head about this all winter.
  • 4/18/12
  • Freemans_Crowbar

I love Meds, but at this point you can't have him blocking a younger player with a higher upside in the rotation. Delgado and Teheran are part of the long-term future of the rotation, so unless a spot naturally clears itself for Medlen, I would keep him where he is.

But if I were the Braves, I'd trade both Hanson and Jurrjens sometime between now and next year's all-star break. Comebined they would bring back a king's ransom in young offensive talent, and we would have more than enough pieces left to have a competitive starting rotation.

• 4/18/12
  • bravehomer
I definitely prefer Medlen to Jurrjens in the starting rotation.
  • 4/18/12
  • parish
I think Flande has been starting, so he may be getting primed for the long relief role.