The BSchools forums are currently undergoing maintenance.
While that's in progress, you won't be able to post new threads, comments, or replies. You can still browse and read to your heart's content.

We'll be back shortly. Thanks for your patience.

• Welcome Guest
BW Business Schools
BusinessWeek's comprehensive guide to business schools.
  •  
  •   Total Posts: 1028
  • Posted: 2/24/06
  • 12589 of 17319

Dear Linda,

I was recently admitted to UCLA.

I understand that you are an alumni.

Would be interested in your view about UCLA with regard to MC and IB career prospects. My other options currently are Cornell and Duke.

I have a fellowship at UCLA, any resume value there?

Any thoughts.

Regards,

chimni

•  
  •   Total Posts: 20
  • Posted: 2/25/06
  • 12590 of 17319
Dear Linda,

I am interested in applying for the 2007 MBA intake. I am 25/ Female/ Indian (26 at the time of application). I grew up in the Middle East for a major part of my life (only spent 2 years in India), and after my high school, won a full scholarship for undergraduate studies in Singapore, where I've been living for the past 8 years. My undergrad major was Biotechnology (graduated 2002, GPA3.7) and I've also finished my Masters in Medicine (by research).

Most of my work experience (4 years) has been in the biomedical research sector, where I've done pretty well (publications in prestigious journals etc). My employer, a top research institute in Singapore, also gave me a fellowship and sponsored my Masters degree.

I would like to go into VC/ investments for the life sciences industry, which is why i need the business skills that an MBA can provide me (short-term goal). Now I've secured a job in technology commericalization for the local universities, which is a step below the actual VC part. I want to use this as a stepping stone, but I definitel need and MBA for this to work.

Community service and extra-curricular:

I have been quite invovled in commnuity service during university days as well as in my current job, including healthcare education, donation drives etc. I was also an elected member of my university ahll's student body, where I organised various activities, functions etc. I could give a lot more from my school days (debating quizzing etc) but I don't know how the Adcom would view something from childhood.

What do you think about my chances of b-schools? I don't have any big-name work experience. I've been thinking about where all to apply and these are my tentative shortlist:

1. Wharton (perhaps the Lauder track or the Healthcare mgmt program)
2. Kellogg (healthcare /biotech major?) 
3. Fuqua (healthcare major?)
4. Cornell (TMO, since I already have an advanced degree)
5. Ross
6. Marshall (they have a mini- diploma in tech commericalization, plus I know one of the alums)

W/K are my dream schools. I know that W/ K/F all have healthcare mgmt tracks... would there be any advantage in applying for those particular majors, which I can specify in my essays, or should I apply under the general scheme? I do not think VC/ investments fall under Healthcare mgmt, so that may be contradictory to my short-term goal.

Any of these schools you feel are definite dings with my profile? Thanks in advance for your reply!
  • Posted: 2/26/06
  • 12591 of 17319

Hi Linda,

This is another evaluate my profile kinda question. 

27 years old Indian male

Bachelors in Arts from India's top liberal arts college (stellar grades in the first two years but plummeted drastically in the final year because of a 40 hour job I did for the whole of the year)

Masters (Part time) in Economics (mediocre grades again due to 70 hour job I was doing alongside)

5 years work experience out of which
2 years(Multi-functional role) in an IT Start-Up
2 years(Internet Strategy)
1 year --current (Family business)

I took my first GMAT in november 2004 and scored a 500, coughing for all the 4 hours during the exam, I went to see a doctor next day and he diaganosed me with tuberculosis. The news meant more of mental disorientaion than physical pain and I had to quit my job. Got fully recovered in october 2005, learn a lot of yoga, meditation, spirituality while bed-ridden. Took the gmat again a week ago, this time more prepared and fully armored, got a 710 in gmatprep on the day before the test but still scored a humiliating 510 on he test. Since I am so late already in my applicaion process and do not have too great a grades/scores etc., do I have a shot at relatively not so top schools such as SUNY Buffallo, Tippie, Case Western etc.? I have some reasonable essay material, great story, good community experience etc.

I have already waited too long a time during my illness and do not want to linger it further and start my MBA in 2006 fall only. Kindly advise me whether revealing about my illness, which I am fully recovered from, will deter my chances of getting admission/visa? Given the fact I am so late do I still stand a chance of being admitted? (I am looking forward to applying in April1, April 15 deadlines). Though I do ackowledge the fact that people from my demographics do attain ENORMOUS scores, I am not one of those good standardized test takers. Therefore, taking GMAT again will be my last option as the admission cycle is also ticking to closure.

• Posted: 2/27/06
  • 12592 of 17319

I was recently admitted to UCLA.

I understand that you are an alumni.

Would be interested in your view about UCLA with regard to MC and IB career prospects. My other options currently are Cornell and Duke.

I have a fellowship at UCLA, any resume value there?

Any thoughts.

Regards,

chimni

Chimni,

First of all, congratulations both on the multiple admits and the fellowship!

Just to clarify, I received my MBA from UCLA (then GSM) in 1979 so my experience isn't current. Furthermore, it would be hard from me to compare based on experience because I never attended Duke or Cornell.

In any case, I quickly looked at career stats for these schools and I suggest you do the same, in more depth. They confirmed my gut feeling that the schools are in a pretty similar place in terms of preparing you for a career in IB or MC. Yes the start firms and IBs hire from these programs, but they aren't feeder schools for the elite strat firms. The IBs hire in good numbers from all 3 schools. If you are intersted in Wall St., you probably would be better off at Duke or Cornell, but UCLA would not preclude you from a career on Wall St. and I don't know the size of the fellowship. I am not sure the difference would justify a significant difference in price. Furthermore, if you wanted to end up on the West Coast, UCLA has an excellent reputation and resume value.

Good luck!

• 12593 of 17319
Dear Linda,

I am interested in applying for the 2007 MBA intake. I am 25/ Female/ Indian (26 at the time of application). I grew up in the Middle East for a major part of my life (only spent 2 years in India), and after my high school, won a full scholarship for undergraduate studies in Singapore, where I've been living for the past 8 years. My undergrad major was Biotechnology (graduated 2002, GPA3.7) and I've also finished my Masters in Medicine (by research).

Most of my work experience (4 years) has been in the biomedical research sector, where I've done pretty well (publications in prestigious journals etc). My employer, a top research institute in Singapore, also gave me a fellowship and sponsored my Masters degree.

I would like to go into VC/ investments for the life sciences industry, which is why i need the business skills that an MBA can provide me (short-term goal). Now I've secured a job in technology commericalization for the local universities, which is a step below the actual VC part. I want to use this as a stepping stone, but I definitel need and MBA for this to work.

Community service and extra-curricular:

I have been quite invovled in commnuity service during university days as well as in my current job, including healthcare education, donation drives etc. I was also an elected member of my university ahll's student body, where I organised various activities, functions etc. I could give a lot more from my school days (debating quizzing etc) but I don't know how the Adcom would view something from childhood.

What do you think about my chances of b-schools? I don't have any big-name work experience. I've been thinking about where all to apply and these are my tentative shortlist:

1. Wharton (perhaps the Lauder track or the Healthcare mgmt program)
2. Kellogg (healthcare /biotech major?) 
3. Fuqua (healthcare major?)
4. Cornell (TMO, since I already have an advanced degree)
5. Ross
6. Marshall (they have a mini- diploma in tech commericalization, plus I know one of the alums)

W/K are my dream schools. I know that W/ K/F all have healthcare mgmt tracks... would there be any advantage in applying for those particular majors, which I can specify in my essays, or should I apply under the general scheme? I do not think VC/ investments fall under Healthcare mgmt, so that may be contradictory to my short-term goal.

Any of these schools you feel are definite dings with my profile? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Do you have a GMAT score yet?  Assuming it's competitive, you do have a competitive profile for the schools on your list and are applying appropriately.

I can't say whether given your short-term goal you would be better off with a health care specialty or more VC oriented classes. I simply don't know enough about the field. I suspect that even if you don't pursue the healthcare major, the fact that a program has the major would allow you to take courses in that major. From an admissions perspective, you should apply for the program that best supports your long-term goals.

Good luck!

• 12594 of 17319

This is another evaluate my profile kinda question. 

27 years old Indian male

Bachelors in Arts from India's top liberal arts college (stellar grades in the first two years but plummeted drastically in the final year because of a 40 hour job I did for the whole of the year)

Masters (Part time) in Economics (mediocre grades again due to 70 hour job I was doing alongside)

5 years work experience out of which
2 years(Multi-functional role) in an IT Start-Up
2 years(Internet Strategy)
1 year --current (Family business)

I took my first GMAT in november 2004 and scored a 500, coughing for all the 4 hours during the exam, I went to see a doctor next day and he diaganosed me with tuberculosis. The news meant more of mental disorientaion than physical pain and I had to quit my job. Got fully recovered in october 2005, learn a lot of yoga, meditation, spirituality while bed-ridden. Took the gmat again a week ago, this time more prepared and fully armored, got a 710 in gmatprep on the day before the test but still scored a humiliating 510 on he test. Since I am so late already in my applicaion process and do not have too great a grades/scores etc., do I have a shot at relatively not so top schools such as SUNY Buffallo, Tippie, Case Western etc.? I have some reasonable essay material, great story, good community experience etc.

I am less familiar with these schools than with the top 25, but I think your chances given your grades and GMAT, are poor.

I have already waited too long a time during my illness and do not want to linger it further and start my MBA in 2006 fall only. Kindly advise me whether revealing about my illness, which I am fully recovered from, will deter my chances of getting admission/visa? Given the fact I am so late do I still stand a chance of being admitted? (I am looking forward to applying in April1, April 15 deadlines). Though I do ackowledge the fact that people from my demographics do attain ENORMOUS scores, I am not one of those good standardized test takers. Therefore, taking GMAT again will be my last option as the admission cycle is also ticking to closure.

I don't see any big negative in your trying to apply to these schools now, however, I am not optimistic. I think you should prepare yourself for a retake and reapplication in Fall 2006, with a first round submission of your application.

Good luck!

•  
  •   Total Posts: 20
  • Posted: 3/1/06
  • 12595 of 17319
Thanks Linda for your great advice on the boards!
  • 12596 of 17319
Hi Linda,

I had an interview with Wharton. I was too enthusiastic and as a result too nervous in the interview. I did not perform as well as I did with other schools. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

Regards,

Edited 3/1/06   by  perseas1
  •  
  •   Total Posts: 1028
  • 12597 of 17319

Hi Linda ,

Thanks for your reply.

The IBs hire in good numbers from all 3 schools. If you are intersted in Wall St., you probably would be better off at Duke or Cornell, but UCLA would not preclude you from a career on Wall St. and I don't know the size of the fellowship. I am not sure the difference would justify a significant difference in price. Furthermore, if you wanted to end up on the West Coast, UCLA has an excellent reputation and resume value

UCLA offered me a 30K$ fellowship.

I gather you beleive that all these 3 schools would give me the same opportunities wrt consulting and an edge to the east costers for banking jobs.

I am one of those who want to break even in the US  and then come back to my home country to work.So i am slightly tempted to go with the money.

Could you provide the recruitment numbers for UCLA .I cant seem to find them anywhere , only company names.

Regards,

Chimni

• 12598 of 17319
  • 12599 of 17319
Hi Linda,

I had an interview with Wharton. I was too enthusiastic and as a result too nervous in the interview. I did not perform as well as I did with other schools. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

Regards,

The short answer is "not much." You should write a short thank you to your interviewer and if you feel you did not answer a question adequately, you can just "clarify" that point. But your thank you should not be an apology for nervousness or an attempt to clarify the entire interview.

Keep in mind the following:
  • It is very hard to tell how you did in an interview. I can't tell you how many times people who thought they did well, didn't and vice versa.
  • Even if you did poorly, the interview is more information. It is not determinative. So you may have done ...not so well and still get in.
Good luck!
  • 12600 of 17319

Hi Linda ,

Thanks for your reply.

The IBs hire in good numbers from all 3 schools. If you are intersted in Wall St., you probably would be better off at Duke or Cornell, but UCLA would not preclude you from a career on Wall St. and I don't know the size of the fellowship. I am not sure the difference would justify a significant difference in price. Furthermore, if you wanted to end up on the West Coast, UCLA has an excellent reputation and resume value

UCLA offered me a 30K$ fellowship.

I gather you beleive that all these 3 schools would give me the same opportunities wrt consulting and an edge to the east costers for banking jobs.

I am one of those who want to break even in the US  and then come back to my home country to work.So i am slightly tempted to go with the money.

Could you provide the recruitment numbers for UCLA .I cant seem to find them anywhere , only company names.

Regards,

Chimni

Chimni,

$30,000 is a nice chunk of change, especially if there is no or limited financial advantage to going to the other schools.

You may find the stats you want here: http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/documents/areas/adm/cmc/Employment%20Report.pdf .

If it doesn't provide detailed enough information, then I suggest you call Anderson's Parker Career management Center and ask them the questions you can't find answered on the web site.

Good luck!
  •  
  •   Total Posts: 23
  • Posted: 3/2/06
  • 12601 of 17319
Hi Linda,

Huge problem: I have been granted ammission to a top 5 MBA, 1st round application. I deposited money and signed an honor code that I will withdraw all amy applications from other schools. Although, I am still running for HBS, my first choice. If HBS offers me a place, can I decide to leave my deposit, break the honor code at the first school and just go for HBS? I worry that this might be considered unethical, HBS gets to know it, and I am out of both schools...

Any suggestion greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  • 12602 of 17319

Hi Linda,

I took the GMAT in Oct 2004...read somewhere that the GMAT score is valid for a period of 5 years... Is it really so? Or does it depend on the discretion of the MBA school...and if this is the case then what stance do the top 20 MBA colleges usually take on this...?

Thanks.

•  
  •   Total Posts: 4
  • 12603 of 17319

Hi,

My GMat score 690 / Toefl 280, have add on qualifications of CFA (CFA Institute) and FRM (GARP) along with a CPA equivalent Indian qualification and work exp of 4 yers with product development & risk mgmt with a Broking Firm and 3 years with an Audit Firm. I am looking at making an career in IB or Consulting. I have been admitted to HEC Paris and IESE and am awaiting decision from Stern & Columbia. My top choice is Stern but I have to confirm HEC or IESE before the decision comes from Stern, if I dont get through Columbia or Stern which one should I look forward to ? IESE has good Recruiters but I will have to learn Spanish - I dont have any issues on that but dont know how good getting into IB or consulting not knowing any regional European language & wht if I have learned French and Spanish by the time i graduate.

Thanks

• 12604 of 17319
Hi Linda,

Huge problem: I have been granted ammission to a top 5 MBA, 1st round application. I deposited money and signed an honor code that I will withdraw all amy applications from other schools. Although, I am still running for HBS, my first choice. If HBS offers me a place, can I decide to leave my deposit, break the honor code at the first school and just go for HBS? I worry that this might be considered unethical, HBS gets to know it, and I am out of both schools...

Any suggestion greatly appreciated!

Thanks
I assume the school is Columbia. That is a problem and would be considered unethical by many adcoms, although I don't believe the schools are allowed to provide each other with the kind of information that could get you booted out of HBS.
Good luck!
  • 12605 of 17319
I took the GMAT in Oct 2004...read somewhere that the GMAT score is valid for a period of 5 years... Is it really so? Or does it depend on the discretion of the MBA school...and if this is the case then what stance do the top 20 MBA colleges usually take on this...?

Thanks.

GMAC says that GMAT scores are good for 5 years. Yes It's really so.

Good luck!
  • 12606 of 17319
My GMat score 690 / Toefl 280, have add on qualifications of CFA (CFA Institute) and FRM (GARP) along with a CPA equivalent Indian qualification and work exp of 4 yers with product development & risk mgmt with a Broking Firm and 3 years with an Audit Firm. I am looking at making an career in IB or Consulting. I have been admitted to HEC Paris and IESE and am awaiting decision from Stern & Columbia. My top choice is Stern but I have to confirm HEC or IESE before the decision comes from Stern, if I dont get through Columbia or Stern which one should I look forward to ? IESE has good Recruiters but I will have to learn Spanish - I dont have any issues on that but dont know how good getting into IB or consulting not knowing any regional European language & wht if I have learned French and Spanish by the time i graduate.

I am not sure I can compare IESE and HEC in terms of hiring opportunties in IB. If you are not accepted to CBS or Stern, then check out both schools' recruiting stats. Which school has more IB firms recruiting on campus? interviewing and hiring? Then check out the curriculum at each program. Which one appeals to you more.

Knowing an additional language, especially one that is spoken by millions on more than one continent, be it French or Spanish can only be an asset, albeit one that is not easy to acquire.

Good luck!
  •  
  •   Total Posts: 4
  • Posted: 3/7/06
  • 12607 of 17319
Thanks.
BW Business Schools RSSSUBSCRIBE TO RECENT RSS UPDATES
  ©  Mzinga, Inc. All Rights Reserved.